Leo Season approaches, only hours away, and it’s initial stages are like a spring… full of promise and excitement at what is to come. Unhitching the Sun from the shade Saturn and Pluto has been throwing, the next few weeks offer the same feeling of a summer holiday, a joyful break in the Sun before getting back to the grindstone again. Saying this though I do have to be honest, it’s not the usually bright, passionate period Leo season offers. Perhaps a staycation replaces your usual beach holiday, you’re celebrating special occasions alone, or your whole world is whirling like a carousel with no end in sight. There is nothing normal in 2020, and Leo season is another casualty. Yet there are still simple pleasures to be had, joys to enthuse about and inner work to be done… as they say, make hay while the sun shines!
Why is the Sun’s time in Leo so thrilling? We have the brightest luminary in the sky, the one all else revolves around, in the only sign it rules. The Sun shines because it literally cannot stop, its nuclear-reactor heart radiating light and heat into the inky blackness of space. It doesn’t think where it’s rays will land, or about the new life it’s warmth invite’s forth, but without the sign life on our planet wouldn’t be here. It turns the darkness of night into the brightness of day, and rules our waking, conscious selves. Yet this is also where the problem lies…
Our extroverted society shuns the darker, more intimate parts of ourselves. Some say the masculine has arisen at the expense of the feminine. Others science and logic over feeling and intuition. The Sun has much to do with this, but it isn’t the only side of Leo and what is can offer.
“Our culture made a virtue of living only as extroverts. We discouraged the inner journey, the quest for a center. So we lost our center and have to find it again.” – Anaïs Nin
The Sun is also the core of our solar system, and this is where we are being invited this year, to dwell in our own core so we can sit calmly amongst the crazy of 2020, knowing it’s only the externals crumbling away. I’m not wishing to downplay the loss or trauma many of us are facing, it’s scary and painful. Yet the old system is sick and holding us back, humans cannot evolve from this place of corruption, greed and heartlessness. We all need to come from our hearts, from our core values as humans, that connection to source that is constant and unchanging, no matter what comes to pass.
The individuality of Leo may seem the opposite of the communal Aquarian future due to come in at the end of the year, but when you look at a bar from above, the two sides are joined. Each of us individuals can choose to have a great part to play in shaping the world of tomorrow. The question is, what kind of future do you wish to create? And who are you willing to work with? We cannot build new societies anew without knowing what we, as individuals, want to uphold in it. Justice, equality, equity, truth, harmony; just a few of the qualities I am passionate about seeing grow, what about you? I believe we can use Leo season to get in touch with our centre, our core values, those standards we wish to fight for that will become the cornerstones of a better world.
Important dates ahead and tips for making the most of Leo Season:
- Work on your physical core strength, even science is catching up with the mental and emotional resilience a strong physical core offers. The more stable we feel physically, the more resilient we feel in other areas too, and being able to walk straighter and taller boosts our sense of confidence and self-esteem.
- Spend the next month doing what makes YOU feel alive and in awe of simply being human on the planet right now. Like a girl dancing in front of a mirror, with all the joy and exhuberance her life can muster, or a boy running flat out through a field, chest splayed and heart robustly pumping blood through his veins – Leo brings such a sense of being alive.
- Leo is also passionate and creative and, when well fuelled, shines for eons. Look to the area of your life linked into Leo to understand more about what lights you up and where you can share that warm enthusiasm with the world.
- Stop playing small. The thing is, if the Universe went to all the effort of investing in you, why wouldn’t you be you? It gave you life for a reason, so what’s the point of spending it hidden or unconscious? So you can fit a model of what a broken society tells you to be? Or to stay safe? When the Sun square Uranus on August 1/2, you’ll really get a chance to see those shackles for what they are, a self-imposed prison you can choose to step out of, even if just on day-release. That breathe of fresh air that blows through may give you a taste for a new life, and encourage you to live in it more.
- Boldly embrace the courage of Leo, especially when the Sun trines Mars on 16/17 August, and then the Leo New Moon draws it in to. As Winston Churchill said “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts… Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak. Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.” Drawing on the remarkable resilience of humanity, we can use this courage to face the last months of 2020, together.
- Once you’ve done all the dwelling and connected in with your centre, speak your truth loud and proud with the Mercury cazimi on August 17/18. Under the terms of Mars, honesty and directness will come easily, while talking from the heart can soften Mars’ sharp edges and allow your sincerity to shine through.